Land of winds. Digital magazine on Andean music. Header picture
Song Andean music
Land of winds > Music > Song | Issue 01. Jul.-Aug.2010
By Edgardo Civallero | Sara Plaza

Surimana
(Ulises Hermosa. In “Canto a la mujer de mi pueblo”, Kjarkas, 1982).


“Surimana” is an ultimate romantic song composed by Ulises Hermosa for Los Kjarkas. Mostly sung in Spanish except for the chorus that is in Quechua language, it matches the slow and lilting rhythm of a huayno.
The title refers to a legend from the rich Kallawaya oral tradition (native people from Charazani, Bolivia), collected by Enrique Oblitas Poblete in his book “Cultura Kallawaya” (1963). The legend talks about the origin of potatoes, which sprouted from princes Surinama and his lover’s buried corpses.

Waqay phutipi saqirparirqani / “Ama ripuychu”, waqaspa niwarqa
Sapa paqarin yuyarispa kani / Yuyarispataq sunquypis waqarqa.
Ay, yo no quiero saber de tu olvido. / Ay, no quisiera saber de tu olvido.
¿Acaso piensas que no estoy contigo? / Deja tu orgullo y regresa conmigo.
Quiero tenerte siempre aquí, a mi lado. / No dejes nunca que tu amor me falte
porque sin ti vivir no podría. / Regresa a mí, flor del alma mía.

[Sadly crying, I finally left her. / “Don’t go”, she told me crying.
Every day at dawn I’ve been remembering her. / And by remembering her, my heart also cried].
Ah me! I don’t want to learn of your forgetfulness. / Ah me! I would want not to learn of your forgetfulness.
Do you think that I don’t love you? / Leave your pride aside and come back with me.
I want you to be always here, next to me. / Don’t ever stop loving me.
for I could not live without your love. / Come back to me, my soul’s flower.

Disclaimer of Land of windsEditorial staff of Land of winds