Land of winds. Digital magazine on Andean music. Header picture
Lyrics Andean music
    Land of winds > Music > Lyrics | Issue 08 (Nov.-Dec.2011)
    By Edgardo Civallero | Sara Plaza

Colquechacamanta

(Luis García)

The title of this well-known and widely spread “huayno nortepotosino” means “from Colquechaca”. Colquechaca (from Aymara qullqi, “silver” and chaka, “bridge”) is the capital of Chayanta province, in northern Potosí department.

Several musicians of the Andean scene have included this huayno in their repertoire. Zulma Yugar’s version (on her album “Tierra sin mar”, 1996) is probably the best known, though there are other excellent ones out there by Norte Potosí (on “La esencia de lo nuestro”, 2001), Carola y los Amautas and Los Jalq’as.

The lyrics included here are taken from Zulma Yugar’s version, since it is the most widely spread (the chorus translation is not very accurate but conveys the meaning of her words):

    Desde lejos he venido solamente por quererte, palomitay.
    Solamente por quererte, solamente por amarte, palomitay.

    [From far away I have come just to love you, my little dove.
    Just to love you, just to love you deeply, my little dove.]

    Qanpis ñuqaraykuchari, ñuqapis qanraykuchari, palomitay.
    Sichus vidayta pierdesaq munasusqaraykuchari, palomitay.

    [You for me and I for you, my little dove.
    Were I to lose my life, it would probably be for having loved you, my little dove.]

    Colquechacamanta cerro Potosíman
    cercallaña kasqa capital Sucreman.

    [From Colquechaca toward the mount of Potosí,
    near Sucre capital I had already come.]
The lyrics in Spanish are improved by Norte Potosí with the following stanzas:
    Desde lejos he venido solamente por quererte, palomitay.
    Me aborreces todavía si por ti estoy sufriendo, palomitay.

    [From far away I have come just to love you, my little dove.
    You still hate me even though I am suffering for you, my little dove.]

    Que manera de engañarme, hermosa potosinita, palomitay.
    No he podido abrazarte volviendo a tu cariño, palomitay.

    [How you have deceived me! beautiful potosinita, my little dove.
    I have not been able to hug you since I lost your affection, my little dove.]
Even though many attribute the authorship of the song to Luis García, the structure and most part of the lyrics seems to belong to a traditional huayno, “Desde lejos he venido”, whose variants can be heard across the Andes from southern Colombia to Ecuador and northern Chile.


Video 01. “Colquechacamanta”, by Zulma Yugar.
Video 02. “Colquechacamanta” (live), by Norte Potosí.
Video 03. “Colquechacamanta”, by Los Jalq’as.
Video 04. “Desde lejos he venido” (santiago of Peru), by the Gamarra sisters and the group Coriquinto de Tayacaja.
Video 05. “Desde lejos he venido” (carnival of Huaytara, Peru).
Video 06. “Desde lejos he venido” (huayno of Junín, Peru), by Noemí Vega Jaramillo.
Video 07. “Desde lejos he venido” (marinera played on dulzainas of Chota, Colombia), by Las Águilas del Chota.
Video 08. “Desde lejos he venido” (huayno of Ica, Peru), by Mary Guillén.
Video 09 (low quality). “Desde lejos he venido” (carnival of Ayacucho, Perú), by Diosdado Gaitán Castro (live).


> Top    |    > Music    |    > Cover    |    > En español

Disclaimer of Land of windsEditorial staff of Land of winds