Land of winds. Digital magazine on Andean music. Header picture
Song Andean music
    Land of winds > Music > Song | Issue 17 (Jan.-Feb. 2014)
    By Edgardo Civallero | Sara Plaza

Expreso Puquio

(Traditional)

Expreso Puquio

The song's entire title is "Expreso Puquio Pérez Albela" and refers to one of the few means of transport to connect Puquio (province of Lucanas, department of Ayacucho, Peru) to the capital city, Lima, at a time of massive migrations from rural areas to cities. The lyrics, in Quechua, describe the pain of uprooting from home. It has become a very popular song, and today it is performed by great names of the Peruvian folk, such as Manuelcha Prado, as well as by traditional musical ensembles from Ayacucho, especially in its instrumental version for harp and piano.

Expreso Puquio Pérez Albela,
maytam chaytam apallawachkanki.
Expreso Puquio Pérez Albela,
maytam chaytam pusallawachkanki.

[Express Puquio Pérez Albela,
Where are you taking me?
Express Puquio Pérez Albela,
Where are you leading me to?]

Mana riqsisqa runap llaqtanman.
Sacha rumiman hapipakuchkapti.
Mana riqsisqa runap wasinman
Sacha rumiman hapipakuchkapti.

[To a land of unknown people.
(For not leaving) I am holding onto a tree and a stone!
To a home of unknown people.
(For not leaving) I am holding onto a tree and a stone!]

Agencia punkupim saqimurqani
kuyay mamayta wiqiñawintinta.
Agencia punkupim saqimurqani
kuyay taitayta wiqiñawintinta.

[At the agency's door I've left
my beloved mother, with tears in her eyes.
At the agency's door I've left
my beloved father, with tears in his eyes].

Ama mamallay waqallankichu;
paqarin mincham kutirqamuchkasaq.
Ama taytallay llakillankichu;
paqarin mincham vueltarqamuchkasaq.

[Don't cry, my mother;
I'll be back tomorrow or the day after.
Don't cry, my father;
I'll be back tomorrow or the day after].


Article. "Expreso Puquio Pérez Albela". In Crónicas de Pauza [es].


Video 01. "Expreso Puquio", by Modesto Tomayro and Danzantes de Puquio.


Picture A.


> Top    |    > Music    |    > Cover    |    > En español

Disclaimer of Land of windsEditorial staff of Land of winds